First of all, I want to thank all of you guys for the overwhelming the cool ones, nothing is impossible as long as you know the right people… or claim to know them! Avoiding challans after jumping a traffic signal is one place where this ‘art’ is especially useful although I admit that the Delhi Police are now smart enough to call your bluff. I still remember trying to get the cops off my back by pretending to be related to some make-believe senior cop or faking an accent that would make me look like a badass when I would get hauled over while riding my granddad’s scooter. ” Tujhe pata hai… mera chacha thaane ke char chakkar kaat chuka hai,” I would say, trying to sound intimidating. I recall that if a guy ever stared at the girls in our group, they would show him ‘the finger’ or abuse him. The guy wouldn’t say a word to the girl, but would call me and say, “Oye! Chikne, shaana ban raha hai,” and I’d be like, ‘What did I do? She showed the finger.’ Then, I would make frantic calls to friends asking them if they knew someone in the ilaaka. Schooling in Delhi was full of such instances. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to tackle some huge guy who would threaten to beat me up if I didn’t stop dating some girl his friend liked.”Abe, naam kya hai uska? Baat karna chhod de uss se. Mere Pingu ko pasand hai woh,” he would say. I’ve learnt that it’s not what you know, but who you know that ultimately matters. So, thank you Delhi for teaching me to be street smart, or as us desis call it, kaandi.

Share this:
Spread the word, using :
Share/Save/Bookmark
Bookmark These:

Subscribe Using These:
Subscribe

0 comments

Post a Comment